The news of pregnancy can come to you either as a shock or extremely opposite to that, as a happy news. It would, afterwards, definitely depend on you whether the news was actually a good one or not. But prior to that certain things might be kept in mind so as to handle the critical situation wisely and calmly. Firstly you need to get through the right information and then seek help from the right individuals or if capable enough then you should help yourself wisely.
- Stay calm throughout– Panicking or getting angry may worsen the situation. Instead listen to her patiently. Try talking in a consoling tone if she sounds scared or distressed.
- Let her speak– Before keeping your words, let her speak first. Let her express herself regarding the situation. Whatever she feels about it at that very moment, whether she is scared or is being happy, all you need to do is listen to her and support her in whatever decision she wants to make.
- Managing emotions– Avoiding reactions like panic is equally important as it is to stay calm.
- Ensure a pregnancy test– Before making any decisions in this regard, get it confirmed by medical tests that your girlfriend is actually pregnant. Ensure that the worry is not useless.
- Make her feel that you care– It is that point in time when she needs to be taken care of the most, both emotionally and physically. Help her to conclude onto a certain decision calmly and by standing with her. Even if you contradict her decisions just show her that you are there with her. Try thinking practically and support her with whatever she needs- proper food, rest, sleep, care and so on.
- Making the decision– With respect to this, it would be really helpful for you as well as your girlfriend to conclude onto something very precisely. A decision made in a hurry may result in something really haphazard which may harm both of you in near future or in the long run or both.
- Seek out for options– Learn about all the possible options that you have in front of you. Be it abortion, a continuation of the pregnancy and opting for parenthood or letting the baby for adoption- whatever decision you make, ensure that you both agree to it. Any of these decisions are going to affect her as well as you.
- Let the idea be clear– This is very important. Whether you both want to have the baby and take up the responsibility of parenthood or you want to get it aborted, you need to be clear about your idea as this may involve telling her and your parents (this is required in some states if she is a minor).
- Have patience– Let her think upon as to what she feels about it and what she wants to go for. Don’t force her to make a decision that you feel right. Try to cooperate with the situation as well as her.
- Help her talk about it with elders / some expert– You need to be with her when she is telling about it to her or your parents. You need to share equal responsibility. Parents might react unpredictably. They may be furious, happy, embarrassed, shocked, disappointed, upset or supportive. You need to stand firm when you are speaking the truth.
- Do not run away– Do not run away. Neither from the truth nor yours or her parents.
- Ask for help– Seek out for help from the right individual. You can consult a gynaecologist, approach a family planning centre or a counsellor.
- Talk it out– In case you do not agree with her decision, do not worsen the situation by arguing or fighting. Talk to her, explain to her whatever is your viewpoint and decision. If you feel that you are practically and logically accurate as per the situation then try to convince her but politely.
Although, a number of times such a situation may prove to be problematic to a number of couples but there may be instances when the couples may manage to get through it very wisely and happily. These are the instances when the couples choose to stand by each other and not simply run away from the situation.