Eating right during periods not only eases the monthly cramps but is superbly essential for the bleeding body. Processed food such as instant noodles and bread made from refined wheat only spiked the bad carbohydrates. Food that aids to clearer skin, healthy hair and which alleviates the mood should be eaten. These includes:
- Yogurt is a probiotics, nutrient dense food that helps in digestion. This calcium rich superfood relieves stomach cramps and reduces symptoms of PMS.
- Whole grains such as brown rice which are rich source of magnesium and fibre is highly recommended. Daily intake of brown rich not only lessen the menstrual pain but also alleviate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome such as mood swings ,depression, bloating, fluid retention and breast tenderness. Fiber helps to maintain hormonal balance and curb cravings.
- Iron rich food such as green leafy vegetables and lentils is important because menstruation can lead to iron-deficiency anemia, severe deficient of which can lead to stoppage of periods altogether.
- Fish are a rich source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and helps in relieving the period cramps. The fish oil also aids to other menstrual symptoms such as headaches, nausea and fatigue.
- Include vitamin B6 and B12 rich food such as papayas, oranges, almond milk and soy milk is not only highly beneficial for the body during periods but also reduces menstrual cramps.